Week 20: Intro to educational technology & instructional design

This sentence from the introduction had me smiling “see if you can find some material to have a dialogue with” Material to have dialog with, individual creating their own learning 🙂

Read: Ko & Rossen, Chapter 13: Teaching Web Enhanced and Blended Classes, pp. 371-end (blended courses).

Discussion about Blended learning seems thorough, but is in contrast with the Meta analysis done by the US Education department, from the key findings “Instruction combining online and face-to-face elements had a larger advantage relative to purely face-to-face instruction than did purely online instruction.” In case possible, it could be great to start with a face 2 face session and if required end with one too, rest in-between should be online.

Very useful design tips in the teaching section with a significant paragraph at the end describing the evaluation part and the advice is useful “do not be shy of enlisting another pair of eyes”.

Read Wikipedia definitions: Instructional Design and Educational Technology Instructional design

Following a model is helpful when creating an online courses. This is an insightful Wikipedia entry introducing us to multiple theories. Addie is not that “terrifying” sometime back I came across these 6 videos about ADDIE each is of approx. 5 minutes.

It is good to follow a model, but my experience with Moodle is I can use the prototyping approach and activate object/resources and modify as per need. When you get hang of Moodle it seems the design modalities are built in, sort of a document where you can add and remove bullet points (activities, resources).

Who needs lengthy theories/models when they have this resource “The Ultimate eLearning Design and Development Checklist” which was added to Diigo by Lisa Lane, this is really great.

Educational Technology

This sentence was fun “Moreover, a computer is patient and non-judgmental, which can give the student motivation to continue learning.” Comparing face to face with computer based learning, just wait until we have robots with an attitude 🙂

In this article Connectivism is not mentioned, which is bit strange, though some do not regard Connectivism as a theory but it should have been mentioned especially when we are discussing learning in the digital era.

Another useful resource is this site “Project Management for Instructional Designers” a long document, still in process of reading it, probably will get to it after week 24 is over.

View Rick Schwier, History of Educational Technology (presentation 2010)

Technology is “Practical solution to a problem” and history of Educational Technology started way back from the Greeks, but could actually have been with cave carvings or even earlier. Another good example of how great it is to be able to watch recordings of earlier lectures.

I tried to answer these questions, put forward in the recording:

Question 1: What is your earliest memory of an educational technology?

For me it was in School year 1983, it was profound and one of the defining moments in my life. We compiled a list from a survey using Commodore 64, I was so mesmerized that I decided to study and make technology part of my life.

Question 2: Who is the most influential non-Canadian scholar in educational technology you can name?

For me it must be Seymour Papert, his ideas and writings, very inspiring in my very early pursuit in this domain.

Question 3: Who is the most influential Canadian scholar in educational technology you can name?

Stephen Downes, his daily email is one of the highlights, I try to read and follow the links, this is how I came to know about POT, owe much gratitude …

The clip with Negroponte and the description of how kids in Africa are using the “$100” dollar computer is touching. The first word they learn with regard to Internet is Google and for telephony it is Skype. From there Dr. Rick moves on to “Collective constructivism” about how groups learn, once again Connectivism is left out, how groups learn could probably best be described with nodes forming connections.

Read contrasting view: Jaron Lanier, Does the Digital Classroom Enfeeble the Mind (2010)

Indeed a contrasting view with many assumptions. The question “Does the Digital Classroom Enfeeble the Mind?” No mostly it frees it, for example please see YouTube, kids in all ages are posting great videos, connections being formed, and collaborative possibilities across space and time, the Internet providing access to much information to so many humans across the globe.

He does have point “If students don’t learn to think, then no amount of access to information will do them any good.”
Let us end this with a quote from Tony Bates:

“Good teaching may overcome a poor choice of technology but technology will never save bad teaching“

Peace …